Successful Handyman Business Ambleside
Grange Over Sands
Askam in Furness
Grange Over Sands
Successful Handyman Business
Have A Successful Handyman Business - 9 StepsAuthor: Denise Mense
There are a lot of people that believe that in order to start a handyman business all you need to do is slap some signs on a truck and you're in business. Yes, you can do that, however if you want to be in business for longer than a few months then you need to follow these 9 steps to starting your business.
1. Start with yourself. Evaluate your likes and dislikes and then decide if being self employed is right for you. Not everyone is cut out to own their own business.
2. Decide what you will name your business and how you will operate your business. For example there are many forms of businesses, sole proprietor, LLC, corporation. You will want to get advice from qualified accountant and solicitor. Have them help you decide which entity is best for you.
3. Next you need to look into what insurance you may need. You may need general liability insurance and possibly commercial insurance for your vehicle. Get in touch with a qualified insurance agent to help you. Make sure you know what you need before you start.
4. Licenses may also be required. You may need an electrical or plumbing license, for instance. It's very important that you have these in place before your open your doors. If you do not, you may find yourself in some hot water if you are operating without the proper licenses.
5. Know thy customer. Research and see what is needed in your community. Do you have a lot of senior citizens that need help? What about landlords and real estate agents? Are their areas with older homes that will need repairs. It's important that you know who you are targeting. This information will be used later to put a plan together.
6. Know thy competitor? Why? Because knowing what your competition does well, what they do not do well, and what services are not being offered will help you in deciding what to offer and possibly how much to charge.
7. Use your research. Take the research you did on your customers and competition and use this research to decide what services to offer and what prices to charge.
8. Get your tools in order. Make sure you have what you need to get started. You may need to purchase some basic supplies like nails, caulk, and screws. Small things that you will need to do the jobs you are offering.
9. Put this into a plan. Write out a business plan. This does not need to be complicated. Take what you did above and put it into writing along with what type of advertising you will be doing. Come up with a budget. Having a plan will go a long way toward keeping you on track and helping you become successful.
Follow these 9 steps before you open your doors and you will be way ahead of most people who attempt to start a handyman business.
Denise Mense is the creator of Cash in on Repair blog. This blog contains valuable information about starting or running a handyman business. You may also obtain a free report on how to get more customers. http://www.cashinonrepair.com